Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Things Texas Has Taught Us
We've been living down here in the Lone Star state for about 2 1/2 months now and I must say there's some things we have learned in our short time here.
1. It gets ridiculously HOT and HUMID!!! Like, you walk out the door and you are instantly sweaty. We had hot weather in IL, but this is different.
2. The wonderful weather mentioned above lasts from May through September. The seasons are as follows: Chilly, Warm, HOT, HOTTER!!
3. Numbers 1 and 2 are why we can't wait for WINTER :)Yeah, never thought I'd say that! The average temp. throughout the day is in the 50's and it usually only gets down to 40's and maybe into 30's overnight!! Wooo Hoooo!!!
4. People down here are really nice. You always hear that people in the South are friendly and its seems to be true from what we have experienced (well, except for when you are driving down the freeway rush hour traffic). Strangers smile at you and say hi. There have been several times that we've been at a park, and people we don't know come over and strike up conversation. In fact, thats how we found the church we currently go to.
5. Its not "How are you doing,", its "You doin Ok?"
6. People really do say "Y'all"
7. Its 'soda', not 'pop.'
8. Not everyone wears cowboy hats and boots. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I did see someone wearing either of the 2.
9. A lot of people we have met have either moved here from IL or have family in IL.
10. People love to eat, especially BBQ.
11. Palm trees grow like weeds, and the people that are from here hardly notice them. When we first came down, we were like, "oooh look! A palm tree!!" We still love them and have 2 on our balcony.
12. Galveston Beach is not the cleanest, but people go there and enjoy it just the same.
13. Always lock your car door and house doors. Well, duh, you might think, but back in IL I will admit we didn't always do that. Our area is very safe, but you can never be too careful.
14. Everyone isn't tan. Yeah I thought when we came down that everyone would be so tan and we would stick out like sore thumbs. Well that isn't exactly the case. Many people hate being out in the sun, and when they are, they are sure to lather up with sunscreen.
15. When there's a hurricane, you'd better be ready. Everyone keeps drilling that into our head. Hopefully, we won't have to worry about that this year.
16. Traffic is pretty much heavy, no matter what day it is.
17. People that live here are proud to call themselves 'Texans.' Its really great to live somewhere that people are proud to be a part of.
18. There's no shortage of restaurants. We love having all these restaurants so close by. We no longer need to drive 30 miles away to enjoy Chilis or anything else you could think of.
19. Bugs are prevalent all year round, and the mosquitos are terrible!
20. We are thinking about decorating a palm tree this year for Christmas....
haha, just kidding, that would be kinda funny though :)We just love it here!!!